Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ramblings from the sleep deprived

Its almost 11:30 p.m. and here I am trying to wind down from another day. I am tired by body is ready for bed but my brain is on overdrive...again. I wish I knew why sleep is so hard to come by these days. Today was a day filled with trying to figure out the mind of a three year old. I sometimes wonder who the little body is that is sitting at the kitchen table. One minute he can be the sweetest thing in the world and the next he is telling me that he hates me. Now I know he does not really mean it but it still hurts to have your little one say it. He can make me laugh and cry all in the spanned of a few seconds and that plays with the old emotions. I just wish I could find a manual that would spell out a few of the things we have to teach our children. I got off easy with the walking stage but then was blind sided with the speech. Thankfully Casey is doing much better with his speech and he loves school, the other kids and the teachers. Next school year we are going to start him in a daycare/preschool program at a local church. It will be two and a half hours a day and three days a week. Hopefully it will help him with his shyness. That is another thing I wish I could understand...he is so deathly shy we had to have his dental work done at the hospital with him fully out. Then today we went in for a followup and he buried his head in my arm and refused to let the dentist even see him. :( Another trial is potty training. With him being almost four years old and advanced in many things I hoped/figured it would be something he would pick up after he got over his initial fears. Sadly I was so wrong. He loves to do everything else on his own so I thought he would love the idea of doing that by himself. If I don't set the timer for every 15-20 minutes there is no chance of him staying dry and he does not care. If anyone has any idea of how/what I need to do please let me now. But after all the gripes above I love him so. I cannot imagine my life without him in it. With the way he gets so excited over the little things, like seeing a fire truck come down the road or an airplane in the sky. The smile he gives on the good days. He makes me appreciate all my parents did/do for me.
Hopefully there is somewhat of a thought above...now to try and sleep again.

1 comment:

Mike, Alice, and Hank the DOG said...

Love the picture of Tucker!!! Casey can do anything to that dog. Both your lads are darling! I have no answers for your raising children but I can sympathize with you in it all. I think it is called life! Which doesn't help much, but I can tell you I have heard the same frustrations from others. It's amazing how it all comes together! And I know that a good night's sleep does wonders for the problems of the day. Hope you get some good nights, my dear niece! Thanks for the post. I check it almost every day!!!