Tuesday, July 12, 2011

When it rains...

What a way to start the week. Lets see...air conditioner on the blink, washing machine on the blink and oven on the blink. Yes all three have decided to cause issues for us now. I just pray bad things come in threes. With a doctor visit on Thursday I pray nothing else goes wrong that a bad report has to be number three. But to explain the three little issues.

On Friday the AC was making strange noises. I did not think a lot of it being the house was still cool and what not. Then when the guys left on Saturday I turned it off, solely because I am not a huge fan of the AC but deal with it because the boys like/need it. On Sunday when I called to Brent to see what time they might be getting home I turned it back on so the house would cool down for them. Well needless to say it never cooled down. The AC unit would start and then never kick on. Did the same thing on Monday morning so I called the company and they thankfully were able to come look at in the morning. The tech arrived at 9:30 and first thing he said without even looking at the unit was your motor is shot. After taking a look, yes the motor was in desperate need of being replaced. Good news the from the ordeal is by turning it off on Saturday and Sunday I was able to save the rest of the unit from going bad. Another good thing was he needed a part from Home Depot right at the time I needed to get Casey. Thank You Lord for working that out so I did not have to leave him here alone. Now that the motor is new the AC is back and working.

For the washing machine...I started a load of laundry in the morning and went about getting things ready for Casey. When I went to check it there was nothing...the water was not draining and the machine would not go past about half of the rinse cycle. :( This meant what I did not know at the time but I did know that I could not just leave the clothes in the machine. So I took them out and transferred them to the bath tub. Filled the tub with water and took Casey to school. Once home and with a nice big cup of coffee I started the process of doing laundry the old fashion way...by hand. I love my washer and dryer, not a fan of the hand method. Thankfully our dryer is still running fine and dandy. I then took out as much of the water from the machine as I could and when Brent got home and we had dinner he pulled it out and did some Internet research. Boy it gets nasty under and behind that thing. I broke out the vacuum and went to work cleaning up as much of the hair/lint/what every else collected under it. From his research Brent found that the switch that controls the motor had somehow broke. So a new one is on order from Amazon and should be here in a couple of days.

As for the oven, I don't know for sure what the problem is but I think the heating element on the bottom is shot. It took way to long for the oven to get hot for dinner and the bottom never got warm. The broiler would turn on but the bottom unit just stayed black. It was able to get hot enough to heat the guys meal, which was all that was needed since I made it on Saturday when the oven was working fine but me with out an oven is not a good thing. So we will see where we stand on that one. As for what the guys ate, I found a meatloaf recipe from Rachel Ray that I decided to try for them. At one time Casey said he loved meatloaf so I cut this one in half and gave it a try. I was not overly impressed by it and will just stick to one of her other ones that you make in muffin tins and seems a little less dense but they ate it last night so that's all that really matters. I on the other hand had sweet potatoes and talapia. The talapia was one that was frozen and able to be cooked in the microwave. Very good I must say.

So hopefully Tuesday will be problem/issue free as well as the rest of the week. Must say goodnight now.

1 comment:

Mike, Alice, and Hank the DOG said...

Yikes...that said it was posted at 1:10 AM!!! Aren't you sleeping at that time.....! I hope that is all the bad you had this week. Oven/AC/Washer is three - there you go...it's done! But those are three important items. Glad they were all fixable. And I am praying that Thursday is another good report!